Saturday, January 7, 2012

"You're Not Old, Dude..."

I attended the most intimidating BJJ class ever on Thursday AM.  Clearly this is the class the school studs attend.  Several of the heavy- and ultras- giving face time.  Two browns, several purples and blue.  Two white belts out of 19 men.  Me and another guy with biker facial hair, full sleeve tats and four stripes on his belt.  I was nervous the whole time;  reminiscent of those moments before the kickoff or the first puck drop back when I played rugby and hockey.

I drilled with the other white belt, a really cool guy about my size, but with way more facility in the sport.  Then we rolled, six rings, changing every three minutes.  While waiting for a ring, one of the guys introduced himself and we recognized eachother from the last time I was enrolled with James at his Auburn school.  A third party I've been training with and therefore already knew from this time around joined the conversation.  He's 20 and trains six days a week, sometimes doubling up. 

I congratulated him on his schedule and progress saying get it now before marriage, family, career, age become reasons for less frequent training.  That last one lead he and the first guy to ask about age and I mentioned I was 49 and have been thinking that's an impediment to progress in BJJ, finally after years of being very athletic.  20-year-old's response was, "You're not old, dude."

It was the best compliment I've gotten in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment