Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Don't you just hate it when

Is there anything worse for the intelligent BJJ student than not being able to execute the skills you drill in the first part of class when rolling in the second part of class? Tonight, we worked on sweep variants in side control. They made sense and drilling the primary technique close to 50 times really allowed me to pick apart my nascent flaws and memorize the tidy, valuable tidbits about positioning and grip. But when it came to rolling, the relict effects of my two-week lay off interfered with my earnest attempts to use the technique when I was under side control. I chose to roll with the big boys since I sort of am one. The guys with good pressure just eliminated my breathing despite my conscious relaxation and shallow rapid breaths under the squeeze. I just couldn't get enough air. Sucks. But I can't imagine how much worse I'd feel if I actually cared about getting tooled so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment