Friday, June 29, 2012

Gentleman, Gentle, Man

I'm working on an idea here.  Stay with me. 

Last night, I watched the Tom Hanks movie, "Larry Crowne."  Not a big film but it made an impression on me.  One of several sub-texts to the film is the simple concept of behaving as a gentleman.  The issue caught me as I struggle with the familiarity that developed between my wife and I in what will be 20 years of marriage as of August this year.  Once I thought that familiarity would be an expression of intimacy, closeness, and sense of invulnerability in our union.  But it's also bred poor behavior in me, behaviors my wife sometimes mirrors as a defense mechanism.  Worse yet, these behaviors aren't lost on my observant son who expresses them himself in moments where he feels the need to establish his independence.

These are crucial issues of manhood and fatherhood that I need to think through before I write on them more fully.  Before this gets real in a hurry.  Please stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment