Wednesday, August 8, 2012

“At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.”





“At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.”

George Orwell, Extracts From A Manuscript Notebook, from The Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters Vol. 4. (1946-50).




George Orwell wrote that line in a letter to Albert Camus in response to Camus' assertion that "...at a certain age, every man is responsible for his own face."  It's a brilliant trifle reflecting the belief that how one lives should be reflected in his face.

This past weekend I celebrated my 50th birthday (exclusive of the original one) with my wife and son, and a small klatch of our friends and family.  I spent the morning of my birthday surfing by myself in excellent conditions on the western coast of Washington State.  Later in the day, we enjoyed grilled rib-eye steaks and spot prawns, with Dungeness Crab mac and cheese, a salad, and too much to drink.  The men toasted me with Maker's Mark and I smoked a Montecristo.  There was no need for dessert, except that Jacob gave me a nice hug and that put me over the moon.

Having spent six really happy days at the beach, I thought I'd capture my face to preserve the memory as our summer will wind down very quickly up here in the next few weeks.  I'm glad I did too, because this photo will continue to force me to ask whether indeed I earned this face.  I believe so.  Perhaps over the next 50 years, I can do a little better while I am at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment