Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Training Beats

The internet era has been a boon to music lovers.  Once upon a time, people bought a record (yeah, we called 'em records) whenever a band they liked put out a new one.  Maybe we heard the A side on the radio, the one song from the record in rotation.  If we heard a song on the radio we liked and the dickwad DJ neglected to name the band and song, we were stuck waiting for the song to come back up in rotation, before we found out who was playing.  And that was it for finding music we liked.

Now you hear a lyrical phrase, pump it into a search engine, and within three-hundredths of a second, you get links to sites providing the song name, band, videos of the song, guitar tabulature, and myriad places to buy the song (even a CD if we're lucky enough).  I really enjoy following musical rabbit holes through the internet, frequently searching for one thing and discovering dozens more.

I like sharing music enough to occasionally want to post a video or two here.  And since I want to keep the blog topical, there is a BJJ tangent to my music worship.  Simply, my school rolls an ever-changing soundtrack during class.  Whomever brings the iPod sets the tempo.  To me this represents a great progression from the early caveman days of jiu jitsu, back when class was a flavorless package of sweat, stink, work, and grind with no color or aesthetic.  I jest of course; I loved that shit then, too.

In spirit of training music and giving me a outlet for these gems I mine, I will hopefully post a few things from time to time.  Music I would train to; that would motivate me through the gas and into another roll.  Like this from Radio Citizen.  Holla'.

No comments:

Post a Comment