Monday, November 21, 2011

Working Out Instead of Training

Having trained Friday night, and planning to attend my son's infield camp on Saturday, I neglected to attend MMA class Saturday afternoon.  At some point, I should write a short treatise on my life as a baseball dad, even as that might be off-topic for this blog, as it's so central to my identity.  But briefly put, I attend as much of my son's stuff (workouts, practice, camps, clinics, games, and tournaments) as I can.  Watching him go through his infield repetitions Saturday was a joy.

Further on, I'll write a bit of a note (maybe more) about the MMA class I do.  For now, let me just say it's utterly inspiring, motivating, and devastating.  As hard a class as it is, every one I attend leaves me hungry for the next.

Waking up early Saturday morning, knowing I couldn't get to MMA class, I hit the home gym and did this guy's "Fast 50" workout.  Limited as I am by my knees, I remain an avid fitness freak (utterly lacking freaky fitness), and am willing to try any workout I think will pay me some on the back end.  This was no exception.



During the course of the workout, I took very short (sub 30 second) breaks, did much of the work to exhaustion, and was panting the whole time.  After the workout, I did 5 sets of 10 hanging leg lifts and 4x50 repetitions of my neck work.  For good measure I tried swinging my homemade Bulgarian bag, but I was shot and decided to walk it out on the treadmill while watching some English Premier League on Fox Soccer Channel instead.

As of this writing, I still have soreness in my biceps tendons from the rowing, but I plan on going to BJJ tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment