Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Crazy-ass Christmas

Got the turkey in the oven around 10-ish and jumped into a mixed-metabolic/ boxing workout that I was at once loving and hating.  Once I was a sufficient jump roper and I am intent on jumping rope for three minute rounds again, on end.  For now, I have my ring timer set for three minute rounds and I jump until I can't, take a breather, then resume again until the round ends; for three rounds.  I am well aware that the last time I spent any significant time in a boxing mode was about ten years ago with Chaisai Muay Thai when I was still fresh off my rugby career, and fairly fit even at 220 pounds.  Presently, I weigh the same but haven't done much more than swim for fitness for the past five years.

About 75 minutes into my workout, the power went out.  Not that that should have put an immediate end to my workout (even the the volume was getting a bit high at that point).  However, with family members and friends from all over Puget Sound converging on the house for a day of merriment, we needed an action plan that involved gambling on the power staying off or coming back on, getting cleaned up in either event, and (if risk averse on the power outage) packing the whole shebang and running up or down I-5 to the nearest friend or relative's home with power.

We assumed the power to be out for the foreseeable future.  We packed the whole dinner, took "camping" style showers, and hopped I-5 for my sister-in-law's house in Tacoma, Washington.  Although I would have preferred our house, everyone delighted in the adventure, so I kept my Eeyore imitations to a minimum.  Dinner turned out great, and although the prospect of driving on Christmas day put a major dent in my drinking ambition for the day, we came out fine with a few laughs along the way.

By the way, the power was out for about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment