Saturday, December 17, 2011

More MMA 101

I attended MMA 101 at Foster Brazilian Jiu Jitsu again this past Thursday night.  Although I don't intend this blog to be my training log, I should preface this note by writing that I am captivated by this class.  For about a month, I have been making more of an effort to clear my weekly schedule to get in for MMA workout and the boxing than I have for my good, old BJJ gi classes.  I am aware of that.  I feel guilty about it and with my teacher in the process of populating his YouTube channel with his fine technique videos, I really want more "Jits" (as the kids call it these days).  Real life and the typically overwhelming schedule of a married dad in his late 40's have intervened to limit my class attendance to three or fewer times a week. As a result, I'm attending an equal number of BJJ gi classes and MMA training, and this is a prescription for stagnancy in my BJJ.

OK, enough of the momentary, Saturday morning guilt tripping.  As a 49 year old practitioner back to the mats this Fall after seven or eight years of rationalized, regressive approaches toward my fitness, I identified increased general physical preparation as my highest priority in my quest to regain my gameness.  I stopped swimming. I reacquainted myself with metabolic training, high volume bodyweight workouts, grip training, and yoga.  These choices made to set a table for progress in BJJ into my 50's.  My goal this time is staying with the process and not shift my ever-ADD-limited attention to other physical pursuits that might offer less ultimate frustration, etc.  Because BJJ was always frustrating to me.

I started attending MMA 101 because I wanted the complete exposure to the demands of MMA fitness training.  I boxed in my twenties, trained Muay Thai with Kru Alberto Ramirez in my 30's, and knew the MMA workout would be my most efficient route to fitness for the demands of serious rolling.  Serious rolling that would enable some real progress as a BJJ practioner rather than a hobby roller as I had been when I last trained in the discipline.

The FBJJ website humbly describes the MMA 101 class like this:
MMA 101 (Mixed Martial Arts for beginners)
In the MMA 101 class we work on striking, takedowns, and submission grappling. These are all essential ingredients for a very well rounded fighter. The term "MMA" was made popular by fight events such as Ultimate Fighting. MMA simply stands for "Mixed Martial Arts", which is just as stated, a mix of different styles to create a well rounded practitioner. Most of the MMA 101 students wear a rash guard or t-shirt and a form of sport or fight shorts to train in. To see an example of common rash guards and fight shorts, visit the links section and take a look at the merchandise links. The MMA 101 class is ideal for those looking to get in great condition, as well as those who want to build a solid foundation and possibly look towards a career in MMA.
Everything James writes there is true.  But details matter and what he doesn't mention is that while the fight-curious crowd can get something out of this class (not a disparaging term as I include myself in that group), these sessions attract the gamest athletes in the school.  Regular participants include several guys with amateur MMA records.  Class is occasionally led by Josh, a young professional fighter presently getting some casting attention from the UFC offshoot "The Ultimate Fighter" television program on Spike TV.  He is a great young guy, but he also a real fucking fighter.  He means business and when he breaks the training and calls for sparring, you will fight him stand up.  And he doesn't baby anybody; even the 49-year-old moron who thought it might be fun to start fight-training again at the height of his career as a lawyer in a federal government program.

James has emerged as a go-to BJJ coach for aspiring MMA fighters in the greater Puget Sound region.  He presently trains several guys fighting at various professional promotions in the sport.  The most prominent is Jeff "Hellbound" Hougland, a mild-spoken guy with his own fight training business in Enumclaw, Washington.  Jeff has a UFC bout with James in his corner.  The network these men have created provides some cross-pollination of the MMA program at FBJJ, all for the benefit of an idiot, aging physical culturist like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment