Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The difficult moments

Straight up BJJ with gi tonight. I knew it was going to be a tough one from the beginning when I couldn't perform one of the warm-up exercises ("dying bug"). Had some physique-based difficulty with one of the techniques (triangle from armbar on turtled opponent). Understood the technique and Bobbi is teaching these really good, incremental half-guard progressions, but my legs are short and thick. I've always struggled to put on a triangle and I hate gassing on attempted submissions.

Then I only rolled two five minute rounds and sat two out because I couldn't relax under pressure. I'm starting to doubt that my conditioning is the problem (although I'm in shit condition relative to the class). I am wondering about my asthma medication and its effectiveness for exercise induced COPD. I could barely breathe even when relaxed. I forced myself not to panic tap, but didn't defend submissions I could easily have defended.  So I was easily submitted when I could have easily defended. Bad lungs and bad mental game.

Thankfully, no ego in it either so I just want to get back on the mat as soon as I can. Boxing on Thursday and hopefully a basics class on Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment