Monday, December 19, 2011

Hunger for training...

In surfing, the ecstatic sensation of a good session is called "stoke."  Stoke drives a nearly uncontainable desire to get back out in the line-up and surf again.  And stoke applies to most things in life, sometimes even work.

I found the video below on Friday.  I've viewed it maybe 40 or 45 times since then.  I am utterly captivated by the guard game played by these two young Brazilian brothers.  In short, they are every thing that I am not in BJJ: small, pliant beyond flexible, touch-sensitive, quick, and inventive.

By comparison, I am a ship's anchor on the mat.  Even so, watching this video gets me so stoked.  So much so that Sunday morning I had a solid BJJ class with James teaching some spider guard fundamentals and passes.  I also got to roll with a blue belt visiting from his Huntington Beach, CA school.  A first for me to train with someone outside my own school.  I keep hearing about the benefits of training with unfamiliar players and this was good for me.

So here's the video that got me so fired up for gi class this weekend.  I am especially stoked on the beat in the first rolling sequence by Ash Ryan.  Get stoked!

No comments:

Post a Comment